Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Work-ation

A work-ation is a type of vacation.  Sort of like an alternative spring break, it's a break from work (the career kind) to do work of another sort.

This memorial day weekend, I went to the Watson homestead to help Tom do some work for his mother.  We cleaned out storage sheds, filled most of a dumpster*, and burned several piles of wood and cardboard.

And contrary to what you may be thinking, I had a good time.  It really was a nice break from work.  It wasn't fun, exactly, not like a beach trip, or going to the aquarium, but it was pleasant.  It was interesting going through all the stored things (years and years of Watson family acquisitions to sort through).  And you can play mexican train dominoes anywhere.

After sorting through all the stuff in the garage and storage sheds, we also have lots of stuff for garage sales/ebay/etc.  We found a really cool poster of all the Masters of the Universe toys (which Tom and I both want to keep).  Tom's friend Chuck came yesterday and loaded his truck with stuff to take to a pawn shop: two sets of golf clubs, lots of tools... honestly I wasn't paying a lot of attention to what all he ended up taking. 

I know that I loaded my car up with some cool stuff, including an old wooden milk crate, one of Tom's Dad's "old" (still in plastic) police helmets (robin's egg blue), a crate full of Tom's old toys (to sell on ebay), another crate of coins and stamps to sell, a glass pitcher, coca cola glasses, and a dunkin donuts thermos.  Susan also gave me her set of ladies golf clubs, so now I can learn to golf.

The other nice part of our work-ation was that Emmy gets to spend the week with her grandma.  She went to the park, and gets to play in her wading pool every day, and there's the constant grandma-spoilage.  She's eaten more ice cream this week than ever before.  And grandma doesn't think I saw it, but I know there are some freezer-pops in store for her.

I had to go back to work today, but the fun of the work-ation continues for Tom, Emmy and grandma Susan.  And on Friday, I'm sure more Watson treasures will be coming home.  (I saved a whole box of those big colored Christmas lights for next Christmas).

*We got a dumpster for several reasons.  1) There is no trash pick-up in Susan's town. 2)Neither we nor Susan own a truck to haul things to the dump. Also, 3) Some of the things we threw in the dumpster would be pushing the limits of a pick-up truck. And 4) You can't burn everything.

No comments:

Post a Comment