Monday, December 5, 2011

The Pony Ride (An Eventful Weekend)

It was a very busy weekend in the Watson household.  Emmy went to visit Santa, we put up our Christmas tree, Emmy threw several "I'm-two-now-and-I-want-you-to-know-it" tantrums, and poor Tom had to spend a big chunk of money on his car (Eleanor, his beloved Mustang).

The Santa trip went fairly well.  As soon as we can download the photo, we'll be sure to post a pic.  I had to go out Friday night to find a dress.  I went to Target first, because they usually have such cute toddler outfits, but this trip was a real bust.  Then I went to the mall, and checked all four children stores (Carters, Children's Place, Gymboree, and JC Penneys) and ended buying the dress I picked in the first store I went to (making the comparison shopping in all three other stores a waste of time-- hooray!).  We also got a pair of black patent leather shoes with a bow. 

The next morning, I got Emmy dressed and when I got the dress on her, she looked down at it and said, "Mommy, I princess!"  (Inward groan) So, she loved her "princess" dress.  I asked Tom if, instead of packing the dress up in her closet for a potential special occasion, we could just put it in her toy box for princess dress up time.  We almost never have any occasions to dress up, and it would be such a waste for her to never get to wear a dress she liked so much ever again.

Emmy did fairly well with Santa.  The wait was long and she got bored and fussy while we were stuck in line, but we utilized our Abby videos on YouTube (THANK GOD FOR IPHONES) and we got through it.  I was also fairly certain she was getting sick, but though she felt warm several times over the weekend (and was occasionally quite a bit fussier than usual), she never registered an actual fever.

When we finally got up to Santa, and she got put on his lap, she seemed a little wary, but we managed to get an acceptable photo.  When you see it, you'll notice that she is leaning decidedly away from Santa, but Santa is leaning right along with her, so it worked out for the photo.  If it wasn't such a pain, I might try again for a slightly better picture, but I don't really want to put any of us through that, so, c'est la vie.

On Sunday, Tom took his Mustang to get some brake trouble diagnosed, and because of the rather long wait, we decided that I should come pick him up and get a shopping trip done while we waited.  After shopping, on the way back to the car place, we passed an odd sight.  On the strip, just before the turn for the on-ramp, we noticed a small tent with a gaggle (flock? group?) of ponies, walking in a circle with saddles.  Tom said, "Do you think Emmy would like to ride a pony?"  As I swerved into the right lane to turn into the parking lot, I said, "No.  I think Emmy would LOVE to ride a pony!"

We were right, of course.  Emmy loved her pony ride. 


What Emmy did not love, however, was leaving after the pony ride ended.  After we loaded her in the car, while she screamed at us about her "horsie," she sobbed for roughly 20 minutes.  I dropped Tom off and took Emmy home, and she finally stopped crying as we pulled in the driveway.  That was a harrowing 20 minute ride.  I considered turning around and taking her back to the ponies.  I mean, it was a $5 pony ride.  Surely we could arrange to string a few more rides together since she loved it so much.  But I figured that having to leave the ponies was inevitable, and no matter how long she got to sit on her "horsie," she would cry when we left.  So, I stayed strong and took her home.

This morning, while getting dressed, Emmy asked me something about "horsie."  I asked if she rode a horsie this weekend, and she said, "okay."  Which is her way of saying, "Mom, I'd sure like to ride a horse again."

No comments:

Post a Comment