Friday, January 13, 2012

Please and Thank You

The other day, I went to pick up Emmy from daycare.  Her teacher was handing out little cups of water, and she asked Emmy if she would like some before we left.

Emmy got a cup and said, "Thank you."

When she finished, she walked back over to hand her cup back and the teacher asked if she would like some more.  Emmy nodded and said, "Please."

The teacher then mentioned that earlier in the day, she had said thank you to Emmy for doing something and Emmy had responded with "you're welcome."

I'm very proud of Emmy for being so polite, and for using each of these words appropriately and without (much) prompting. 

But the interesting thing that I noticed was that, while the other kids in her classroom (and there were a few who were younger, so I take that into consideration) have a similar level of vocabulary, none of them said please or thank you.

I don't really have any conclusions to draw from that, but I did think it was interesting, and whatever the reason, I was very proud of my polite little girl.

No comments:

Post a Comment