Friday, February 25, 2011

Sleep Deprivation Experiments

I suppose many people might tell us that, as new parents, we should just learn to accept sleep deprivation as a part of our lives.  And to a certain extent, I can agree with that.  Even if I wasn't lazy about chores, having to keep a constant eye on a toddler makes them nearly impossible to accomplish without penning her up in a pack and play (something I have only tried once-- and it didn't go well).

On the other hand, though, I think our sleep problems may actually stem from the fact that we feel (and maybe I'm just speaking for myself here) a societally driven desire to cram too many things into our schedule.  But even that is too simplistic of an explanation.  Yes, we both have activities outside of work.  Yes, we have a one-year-old who requires constant supervision.  Yes, we both like to relax in front of the TV or a book.

All of that being said, I think the problem is our (my) unwillingness to compromise.  I have this idea in my head of what an ideal life looks like, and I keep striving to reach it.  In this ideal life, we have better jobs, make more money, eat only home-cooked, organic-local-humane food (that is also gluten-free) and are magical parents who socialize with other parents, volunteer in child-centric activities (like girl scouts and sports).  We're also president of the PTO.

But I digress.  In pursuit of this perfect future, we push ourselves to achieve things that are on the path to this magic life.  We're both taking classes toward an advanced degree.  We both run, in an effort to be healthy.  I cook, and try very hard to make things from scratch and not lean on convenience foods.  I try to go to the farmer's market in the summer (though apparently, it's open year-round).  I try to cram more vegetables onto Tom's plate, but it seems like such a waste when he turns his nose up at them.

And, all of these extra pursuits, the stuff beyond the 40 hour work week, the childcare, and the home maintenance (laundry, cleaning, etc) has to happen either while Emmy is sitting there clamoring for our attention OR after Emmy goes to bed AND before we go to bed.

Emmy goes to bed at 8.  With any luck, we've had dinner before that, so now it's just a matter of cleaning it up.  And since I made it from scratch, there are a lot of kitchen tools that need to be cleaned.  Then, if it's a homework night, that has to get done.  Then there's getting ready for bed.  And Tom runs at night.  And I run in the morning.  And by God, there just aren't enough hours in the day.  Something has to give.

So where do I make the compromise?  Do I give up sleep? (that NEVER works out well-- I turn into a super-grump with insufficient sleep)  Do I give up running?  Do I make simpler meals that rely on more packaged foods?  Do I give up the time I spend on the bare minimum of appearance related maintenance I do (blow-drying hair, showering, teeth brushing).  I already gave up on contacts, nail polish, and I almost never wear make-up.

Do I try to accomplish more things before Emmy goes to bed?  The only way that will work is if Tom and I trade-off on the Emmy-minding.

Is it simply a matter of juggling time better?

And on that note, here is my other problem.  I generally get a sufficient-to-almost-sufficient amount of sleep, but even so, I'm tired at the end of the day.  And planning my life out to squeeze as much time and efficiency from a day as possible?  Well, the mere thought exhausts me.  I'm pretty laid-back when it comes to schedules and the like, and the thought of consulting a list tires me out.  Much less the thought of actually planning that list out.

It is my belief that the human brain requires a certain amount of down-time.  And I think mine needs a little more. 

1 comment:

  1. I have no experience with raising a child, so my comments may be totally ridiculous, but hopefully sometime soon, I will find myself in the same boat so hopefully I can learn from what you figure out.

    One thought I do have, is the ole cook more fresh items on the weekends so you have prepared items for the week. This could be as simple as cooking a giant pot of brown rice so you just don't have to do that step during the week, to cooking several meals and freezing them for later, or just prepping items, like peeling carrots. I'm not sure what you'd have to give up on the weekends to accomplish this but it might be worth it.

    Good Luck!

    ReplyDelete