Monday, October 17, 2011

Full Sentences. Just Not in Front of Mom and Dad

When I pick Emmy up, I always try to talk to her teacher, and sometimes one of the other teachers will stop me to tell me a story.  Last week, I got two.

One teacher told me that Emmy was playing in the gym, standing with her head leaned on her shoulder and having a conversation on a pretend phone.  Most of it was Emmy's standard toddler jabber (no real words) but then she stopped and said, "I said no!" into her pretend phone.  (I wonder where she got that...)

Then, on Thursday, Ms. Debbie, her usual teacher, told me an even better story.  Debbie is very used to Emmy's pretend talk/jabber, i.e. her imitation of what talking sounds like.  On Thursday, however, Debbie told the kids to start cleaning up, which is what they do when it's time to move on to a new activity.  Emmy walked over to her and asked, "Debbie, where we go now?" She spoke slowly and carefully, enunciating each word.  So, Debbie stopped and told her, "We're going outside."  And Emmy, who clearly loves outside time, turned to the little boys in her class and said, "Boys.  Now."

So, all weekend, Tom and I asked her questions and tried to make conversation with her, but all we got were one-word answers.  No sentences for us.

On the other hand, she will sing for us (or rather, in our presence).  She sings Twinkle twinkle, little star.  (Her version is a little truncated)  And there's this song that Destiny's Child sang on Sesame Street that has a line that repeats.  (I've got a new way to walk (walk, walk)).  So, if you sing the first part, "I've got a new way to walk," she'll say, "walk walk."  Oh my goodness, is that adorable.  I'll have to get a video of it, but Emmy has a tendency to go silent when she notices the camera pointed in her direction.

No comments:

Post a Comment