Thursday, January 13, 2011

Snow and Sinus Infections

This week has been weird.  Sunday night, it snowed, and the snow was... 3 inches deep! (in my area)  That's a lot of snow for Tennessee.  So, school has been out for the whole week, and side streets have been dicey because we don't plow or treat those roads.  The main roads have been fine since about 7 am Monday morning.

Luckily, our daycare didn't close this week (which was a rare and much appreciated surprise)  Unluckily, after we took Emmy to daycare on Monday, she got sick and I had to go pick her up.  So, Monday, I got to work for grand total of 45 minutes.  I thought it was the daycare over-reacting when they called me after she "threw up," but when I got her home and fed her some bananas, she did it again.  It wasn't anything dramatic, just normal baby spit-up, but I knew the daycare wasn't crazy (this time!).

Later that evening, Emmy seemed a little fussy, a little snuffly, and then we noticed the eye gunk.  Earlier in the day, I noticed a dark circle under her one eye, and when I saw the eye gunk, I knew it was another bout of conjunctivitis (or pink eye).  On top of the sniffles, we figured it would be a good idea to take her to the doctor.  So, Tuesday morning, I stayed home for a couple of hours to assess Emmy's condition and make the appointment with the doctor.

Poor Emmy.  When she woke up, her right eye was stuck closed with dried eye gunk.  I tried to wipe it away with a warm wet washcloth, but she was having none of it.  So we resorted to a bath to try and dissolve it away.  Her crying that morning was hoarse and really pitiful sounding. 

So, Tom took her to the doctor and I went to work.  She has a sinus infection, which (somehow that I don't understand) caused her conjunctivitis.  We were given antibiotics and Emmy went home to nap. 

By the time I got home Tuesday night, she already looked much better.  We decided we'd see how she looked in the morning before deciding whether or not to send her back to daycare. 

Wednesday morning, she was much better, but had a dramatically runny nose, so I stayed home again.  Tom was able to work from home, which was good, because it snowed all day, and apparently the roads over by his work were bad.

Today, finally, Emmy went back to daycare.  She is much better after two days of antibiotics.  And me?  Well, I'm only one month in and I'm almost out of sick leave again.  Hooray.

No comments:

Post a Comment